In the initial design there was a plain ghost (already super cute) and a second variation on the pattern for a girl ghost with a bow. I don't do girls. :) So I decided to try to design a few more variations on the basic ghost so that each of my boys could have a ghost of their own.
Here's what I came up with using the poor man's version of a design tool - excel
I was able to use all stash for this quilt top - which was destined to be a table runner for my dining room. The first 2 ghosts were kind of no brainers. Spencer's fascination with all things mustache and Quinn's distinctive glasses were perfect inspiration.
The next two ghosts took a little thinking. I love the idea of a ghost in a bow tie, but I didn't want to just have a single plain ghost. I settled on a ball cap. But when I went to put ball cap ghost together, I couldn't put a black ball cap on a white ghost with a black background. Soooo... the hat became orange. I had briefly contemplated making all the accessories in the boys' favorite colors, but I thought a purple mustache would have been too weird.
The final 4 ghosts turned out pretty cute - and I actually love the pop of color on that orange hat.
Next up - what to do for the back... I went digging through my stash again and found some Ghastlies fabric I had bought a while back and never had any idea what to do with - UNTIL NOW! How perfect!
I wanted to machine quilt this project - and actually started that direction - but, truth be told, I'm really not very good at machine quilting. I hope that someday I can improve my machine quilting skills to the point where I don't feel like I'm going to ruin every project I attempt. For this one, I abandoned the machine quilting and went back the old standby of hand quilting. I kept things really, really simple and just outlined each of the ghosts and their accessories.
After a simple black binding was added, they were DONE!
I loved this project. I know that this will have a place on my October dining room table for many years to come. Thanks Becca for a super fun project!