Thursday, April 2, 2020

Picture of the Week - 4/2/2020

Quarantine day 21

Today is the 21st day we've all been home all day long with no activities.  Yesterday the governor announced that the schools will not reopen this school year.  Georgia's official "shelter in place" goes into effect tomorrow.  

If I had envisioned writing those 3 sentences a month ago, I would have assumed I was writing some kind of weird science fiction and definitely not that I was describing real life in America.  Such a weird time!

Health - We are still fine.  Do we have COVID-19?  I have no idea.  If we do, we don't have symptoms.  That's a blessing.

Supplies - We are still fine.  I did a run to BJs to restock the pantry/freezer yesterday.  We have food.  We will not starve.  I still haven't found toilet paper.  We are down to about 2 weeks supply...  and we have to go out about ever 3rd day for milk and fruit.  The boys eat a LOT.  But I think we are still coming out "ahead" financially (I *think*) because between them they spend about 20/day on school lunches.  That's a blessing

Mentally - We are OK.  We are all having ups and downs.  If you haven't ever read about the Flight/Flight/Freeze response in humans, look it up.  We can't really fight and we definitely can't flight, so we freeze.  And mentally that's pretty draining.  I have felt exhausted and listless WAY more than I normally do.  I think it's normal.  I'm not really bothered by it.  When I'm tired, I rest.  I'm still working and we are getting all the boys through online school.  It's a lot.  So if I want to shut down thinking at 7 PM and go to bed at 9, I'm gonna do it without guilt.  

How are you?  Check in!!!  

Next week is spring break here.  We weren't planning any trips/vacations anyway, so at least we aren't mourning the loss of plans.  (Aside - I think it's totally appropriate to be SAD if you had plans that had to be cancelled.  It's OK to be disappointed.)  Zane and Beck were planning on doing a camp at Sawnee Mt Preserve that I've been trying to get them into for years.  They would have been climbing trees and hiking and all kinds of cool stuff next week.  Instead, they will be playing basketball in the backyard and playing minecraft on their iPads.  It'll be interesting to see how they all do with LITERALLY nothing scheduled.  Could be awesome.  Could be a long week...

Spencer has been wanting to shave his head.  I kept telling him he couldn't do it - using Prom as an excuse.  When school was cancelled - and with it Prom - for the rest of the year, my excuse was kinda crushed.  So I compromised with him and gave him a #4 buzz cut.  He looks good with it - although he does look like he's about 40...  (He's stopped shaving and has a full blown beard again - picture included.)  When that happened, Zane and Beck both insisted that they get a buzz too.  Honestly, the fight in me was gone...  I figure it will be 2 months before we see people again and they WILL need haircuts before the barber shop opens back up, so why not.  They both look a little bit like they are in some kind of dystopian work camp...  but they are happy.  SO I'm happy.  Here's a picture of them sitting on the giant mulch pile currently in our driveway.  Weekend goals!  LOL

Stay safe!  Stay healthy!  Stay home!



No comments:

Post a Comment