Thursday, April 16, 2020

Picture of the Week - 4/16/2020

Day 35 since everything got turned upside down.

We are all doing fine here.  There are up days and down days for all 6 of us.  It's unusual for there to be more than 1 or 2 having a bad day at any time, so it's pretty short lived before we all get back to it.  

Let's see...  this week we found out that the entire wrestling summer season is cancelled.  We had yet another round of SAT testing cancelled.  We found out that both West Point and Naval Academy were cancelling their summer seminars.  They cancelled Quinn's mission trip.  They announced a new grading plan for the rest of the year which removes finals and basically makes almost every assignment optional.  

Grocery stores are slowly returning to normal-ish stock levels.  The pasta aisle is rebounding nicely, but now it's almost impossible to find sugar.  So apparently everyone is baking these days...  still no toilet paper stock although we have gotten lucky a couple of times and bought enough for the next few weeks at least.  Also of note - people generally prefer chicken ramen to beef, because the chicken has been gone for a month, but the beef is always there.  Weird...

We are all coping in our own ways.  Bob is, as always, unflappable and patient about 98% of the time.  He spends his non-ADP time washing a million dishes a day and playing the role of tech support for ZnB. 

I have spent way way way too many hours putting together electronic puzzles on my phone and eating cheezits.  The Covid-19 (lbs) is real, y'all!  I've also started a daily devotional and spend a fair amount of time on zoom calls with my new small group.  I wish I could say I've been productive on my current quilt project, but for some reason I can't motivate myself to pick it up.  I am going to really try to get back into it this weekend because it's supposed to rain.  I have also dubbed myself "in charge of online purchases" and have become a ginormous fan of wayfair.  This morning I decided the wall behind my desk (which you can see on conf calls) was WAY too boring.  Spent an hour trying to figure out what to put back there and looking at many peel and stick wallpaper designs...  before finding and buying a handmade (from a small business) quilt hanger so I can hang up my Bloom quilt.  Pretty exciting.  LOL  (finding joy in the little things here!)

Spencer is quiet and stoic and increasingly anti-government.  He spends his free time researching random topics and watching youtube videos.  He has also spent a TON of time walking Brutus.  He takes Bru out almost every night and they are gone for hours - literally.  One night they were going on 3 hours when I felt the need to text him and remind him that Brutus was thirsty - and it was dark.  They spend most of their time int he fields surrounding our neighborhood.

Quinn spends his free time (which is plentiful) talking to people on Snapchat and playing basketball in the backyard.  (We have no grass left back there, so are now contemplating just paving the whole thing...)  He also spends time with ZnB almost every day too.  He lets them play with him outside or plays video games with them - or just picks fights with them.  

Zane and Beckett are together 90% of every day.  Of that 90% about 90% of it they are best friends.  Then they turn on each other and it gets pretty ugly...  Sometimes we let them go and sometimes we step and and redirect.  I'm forever grateful that they have each other to play with right now, but I also completely understand when enough is enough.  They have both pulled the BB gun back out and spend time messing with it regularly.  Neither of them are getting enough exercise (but neither are Bob and I so it's tough to be too upset).  Pictures are of Zane shooting stuff and Beckett on a conference call with his teacher - and Brutus.  

Brutus is living his best life.  He loves having everyone here and all the attention!  Ozzie is turning great before our eyes and is anxious or asleep.  He just looks at us like "please go back to work" and spends hours every day at my feet in my office hiding from everyone else.  

We are all OK, but looking forward to the day we can get back to some level of normal.  French fries just don't travel well and the melty cheese dip from our favorite Mexican restaurant is cold and lumpy by the time we get it home.  The kids miss their friends.  So do I!

I'm starting to worry (more) about the summer and what things will look like.  Will we be able to find some summer camps for Zane and Beck?  (Nothing cancelled so far...)  Will we be able to keep our beach house in July?  It's an unsettling feeling to not know what even next week, much less next month, will look like.  

OK - enough rambling.  Back to work and reality.  Hope you are all well.  Anyone picked up any new hobbies or done anything fun with the free time?  Take care!  Be safe!!






No comments:

Post a Comment