Thursday, March 26, 2020

Picture of the Week - 3/26/2020

Well, we are another week into the global Covid-19 pandemic and I still don't know what to say about this.  

The boys, Bob and I have all been home almost 24x7 since March 12th.  We've been to a few stores for groceries and a couple of home improvement project supplies, but that's it.  It's weird to stop everything cold turkey.  Really weird!

There are a great number of things I am very grateful for these days.  Here are a few in no particular order...
  • We are healthy
  • We have jobs and they are good ones working for a company who has put "taking care of our associates" at the top of their priority list.  Oddly, one of the reasons I have been hesitant about working for the same company as Bob for years is the whole "what happens if things go south" - and here we are...  and it's been fine.  Knock on wood...  we are good.
  • We have supplies and things we need.  We never ran out of toilet paper.  We have figured out that our local Kroger restocks at night and has almost everything we need.*  We are limiting what we buy and not hoarding.  I am not worried about the food supply chain.  
  • We have many options for ordering take-out food around here.  I want to support these little local businesses and we will be ordering out a few times a week to try to keep these local restaurants afloat.  We won't starve.
  • We live in a safe, quiet neighborhood.  Our neighbors appear to be taking this seriously as well.  I'm very happy to be "stuck" where we are.  (With the exception that our neighbors chose now to "turn us in" to the HOA because they can see our garbage cans from their house - not from the street.  Grrr)
  • My boys are plentiful in number which is mostly** a blessing because they keep each other company.
  • We have a school district that embraced online learning a few years ago, so my boys are keeping up with what they were supposed to learn this year.  This is a very good thing because as of now they will be home until at least April 27th.  If I were a betting woman, I'd bet they won't go back again at all this year.
  • I'm sure there's much more, but I'm trying to write this and listen to a conference call for work at the same time and I need to focus on work for a while.  
This whole situation has been an opportunity as well.  I really choose to believe this.  It's a chance to reconnect with each other.  We have spent every dinner together as a family since this started.  That is really nice.  I think this pandemic is a message from God to stop, slow down, and re-prioritize.  I'm taking it.  I'm doing it!

How are you doing?  How's your family?  What has been most surprising for you during this situation?  What can I pray for on your behalf?  How are you spending your days?

Here's a picture of Quinn in a sweatshirt he asked me to buy for him back in January.  It's more relevant now than it's ever been...  we will stay home and do our part to Save the World!

* Just to document for the future, it is so strange to go to a grocery store and see entire aisles empty.  There has been a run on things like paper products, pasta, rice, bread, and milk.  It's disconcerting to see that things we are used to taking for granted will be available just... gone.  Being flexible has been key...  we may not get the brand of spaghetti sauce we like best, but we aren't going to starve.
** Having a bunch of kids is also a challenge because there is always someone who wants to chat, needs help with something, or is just present.  I know that sounds awful, but I'm not used to being around them all the time!!!  It's taking some getting used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment