Thursday, May 9, 2013

Picture of the Week - 5/9/2013


Letting go...  at least a little.

This whole topic came about in one of those stream of consciousness ways.  I have finally finalized summer plans for Spencer and Quinn.  (Does it blow anyone else away that they only have 2 weeks of school left?  Where did this year go???) 

Anyway...  their plans for the summer are pretty varied, compared to years past.  They are, as in the past, each spending several weeks at Goddard doing the summer camp/daycare thing.  Surprisingly, THIS is what they both said they wanted to do this year.  Not any of the other (IMO cooler) options.  Maybe they want to be near their little brothers.  Maybe they want to visit with friends they have really grown up with, but see very rarely.  Maybe they just want it because it's familiar. 

Along with the Goddard registrations, they are also going to a YMCA day camp.  They did this last year too.  (You may recall me complaining about 1) Quinn leaving something behind every day and 2) the VAST amount of dirt they wore home every day.)  I liked this camp though because it's entirely outside.  No AC.  No electronics.  No creature comforts.  Maybe this is why they didn't put YMCA camp at the top of their lists...  I think it's really good for them to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow.  How to maneuver a canoe.  I think it's important that someone is teaching them scary stories traditionally saved for campfires.  I like the Y camp!

And then there are the sports camps.  There are SOOOO many to choose from.  All around sports?  Speed and Agility?  Lacrosse?  Football?  Baseball?  What to choose...  What to do...  We decided - partly due to interest - partly due to cost - partly due to schedule - to sign up for a lacrosse camp for each of them (on different weeks) and a Speed and Agility camp for Spencer.  It makes me chuckle a little to write Speed, Agility, and Spencer in the same sentence.  He's not fast.  He's not agile.  But maybe practice will make perfect???  I also liked the idea of them doing the lacrosse camps at different times this year.  As much as they like to hang out with each other (no, really!), it's good to spend some apart time too.

And then the letting go parts of the summer...  The boys are each going away for a while this summer.  Spencer is going on his "10 year old" trip with my parents.  They are heading out west to visit parts of the country he might not otherwise get to visit.  They are going to a dude ranch.  They are riding on a plane!  They will visit Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore.  He's so excited!!!  I am excited for him.  It will be a wonderful trip - and I think a wonderful opportunity to spend some real quality time with his grandparents.  While I'm sure I'll miss him, I know he'll be in good hands and I know I'll get regular updates.  So yes, we're letting him go, but it's not like "letting go".

Quinn, on the other hand...  Ugh!  My Mighty is growing up.  Quinn is going to a sleep away camp called Camp Braveheart.  This is a camp organized by the Kids at Heart program.  It's for kids with heart defects.  I can't wait for him to be surrounded by a bunch of other kids with the same ZIPPER scars.  I can't wait to hear about all the new friends he makes.  (That child can make friends anywhere he goes.)  I can't wait for him to realize that he's a self-sufficient little dude.  I can't wait to see all the confidence pouring out of him as he tells people that he went to a sleep away camp.  I am NOT, however, looking forward to letting go for a week while he's away.  I can't imagine what it will be like to not be able to talk to him.  To not have him crawl his lanky, boney limbs into my lap when I'm trying to watch TV in the evening.  I don't know what we'll do without the Mighty in the house for a whole week. 

Letting go.  I know our time with these precious boys is limited.  I know the day we have to "really" let go looms in the distance and will be here before we want it to arrive.  I see kids graduating from high school and getting married and I know these little tests are good for both the boys and for us.  It's a mini-trial run to test the strength of their wings. 

While I pray hard that their root system is firmly planted.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment