Thursday, August 26, 2021

Picture of the Week - 8/26/2021

 What a great week!  


We have had so much good and wholesome and heart-filling this week!!  Yay fam!!

First, we finally heard from Spencer.  He's doing fine.  When people ask about him, they always first ask "is he having fun?" which I find kinda funny because this is not a fun-first kinda experience...  LOL  BUT he is good!  He has a good roommate with similar interests (Mechanical Eng major and doing Air Force ROTC) and has settled into life in the barracks.  Since he got his phone back we've talked nearly every day for a few minutes.  It's just enough to give me huge peace of mind that Spencer is still Spencer and is adjusting to life at a military college every bit as well as I had hoped he would.  We are really proud of him!  

This isn't to say there aren't challenges...  there are.  He's shared some of them and I'm sure there are others that he's keeping to himself.  I don't need to (or probably want to) know all the details.  What I do know is that he's got a really firm foundation and a really great support system (already) and is maneuvering around the hurdles in a very healthy way.  

PS - He's also started working out with the wrestling team and having a lot of fun with that.  Pretty special...

Second, football.  We are a couple of weeks into the season now and I think this year is going to be VERY fun!  The Bob/Beckett team has lots of friends on it we have made over the last 5 years.  It's really just so cool to watch these dudes grow up.  Zane is new to the coaching staff on his team, BUT he's played with many of the guys before and about a 3rd of them go to his middle school.  He is having an absolute blast.  He's playing on the line, which he has done for the last 7 years...  and it shows.  He is confident and competent - and occasionally pretty dominating.  His coaches tease him regularly about having "sexy tackles" and he is eating up the whole experience.  He also just got his first phone and went to his first middle school football game without parents in attendance.  Safe to say he's living his best 6th grade life!

And finally, sweet Quinn.  I am really enjoying senior year with Quinn so far!  I like his schedule and love the fact that he's having fun - while also focusing on SAT, school, and prep for wrestling season.  It's going to be a whirlwind of a year and I am ready for all of it!  (Except maybe the yearbook Senior Ad...  need to get on that...)  This year Quinn decided he was going to volunteer with me at church in Waumba Land (our baby-preschool rooms).  We are assigned to a group of 3 year olds and I LOVE everything about my Sunday mornings!!!  It is pretty fun to get to know a group of 3 year olds and help them have some fun while their parents are at service.  It's also amazing to watch Quinn with them.  I wish I could find the words to explain what watching him with those little bitties does to my heart.  Quinn has always been a care-taker, but seeing with my own eyes how he ENJOYS it and how they LOVE him just...  well I don't have words.  It's a gift and it's amazing and I can't wait to see what he does with it.  

This week...  Zane is off to 6th grade camp this weekend with his small group.  I am also off this weekend for a retreat with my small group.  I expect my version will involve less mud.  Bob/Beck have a game Saturday against a team coached by the dad of a kid Spencer played with in 6th grade.  It is weird because there are VERY few people we know from parent groups of BOTH our big boys and our younger set.  Should be fun to reconnect and I'm more than a little sad I will miss it.  

Here are a couple of pictures from the week.  The one of Spencer is a screen-grab from a Snapchat he sent me from when he was hanging out in one of his classrooms one day.  Classrooms are off-limits for the 4th class system, so he likes to find a quiet spot to hang out.  The boy is not dumb...  Zane picture with my parents is from his last game, where he earned Defensive player of the game after 3 sacks and a number of tackles-for-loss.  He was a beast in that game!  And the picture of Quinn and me is from last Sunday after our service.  I am so grateful that we get to spend that time together this year!  (ignore the fact that his poor face looked like he was in a fight...  it was from a wrestling practice.)

Have a great last week of August/start of September!






No comments:

Post a Comment