Friday, September 27, 2019

Picture of the Week - 9/27/2019

I remember EXACTLY where I was and what I was doing at this time 17 years ago - I was gazing in amazement and wonder at our firstborn SON.  

We didn't know if he was going to be a boy or a girl.  We were completely unprepared.  We were ridiculously excited.  We were instantly in love.

We could never have predicted all the ups and downs and sideways we've had raising this child...  man-child now.  Spencer made us parents, but he's done so much more than that along the way.  He's filled us with pride, love, fear, frustration, elation.  It's everything - and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Watching him change over the years has been nothing short of amazing.

At 17 - and 6' 230 pounds - Spencer is more adult than child now.  His time here at home with us is short.  And while sometimes than turns me a little melancholy as we talk about college and careers and futures, it mostly makes me excited to see what he's going to go accomplish.  He has plans.  He has dreams.  And they are his alone.  Just as I would have never ever in a million years imagined myself with 4 sons, the path Spencer is staring down is not something I would have chosen.  And yet...  it's perfect.  It's his.  It's God's.  

I can't wait to see how the next 12 months unfolds.  I can't wait to see what decisions this boy of ours makes as he lays the foundation for the rest of his life.  Actually no...  he's not laying foundation...  his foundation has already been completed.  It's firm and it's strong and it's rooted in morals and ideals that Bob and I have built into our family.  And thinking about the fact that we've been blessed to have the opportunity to pour this into such a strong, smart, capable human fills me with pride and joy.

Spencer - take the many tools and lessons you have learned, combine these with your own dreams and wishes using your unique and special combination of strengths and abilities and go do great things.  Have the happiest of birthdays - and go out and SLAY this year!  You have the biggest cheerleaders and supporters behind you and we have confidence and faith that you are going to continue to be amazing.  The sky (or space?) is the limit!  I love you!


PS - thank you to all of you who have taken a moment over the last week to reach out with your thoughts and support about my recent job change.  Your prayers and advice and encouragement have meant the world to me.  Thank you!  (no news yet, but lots of irons in the fire...)



No comments:

Post a Comment