Thursday, October 4, 2018

Picture of the Week - 10/4/2018

I know lots and lots of people who say that the fall is their favorite time of the year.  I think it's mine too!  Although I do love something about all the seasons, so it's hard to say that just one is my favorite.

Fall is the time of year that kicks off all our fun traditions.  We are creatures of habit and having these little consistencies year after year just makes things feel comfortable.  Am I right?

So many of our traditions include pictures.  I justify the drama these sometimes cause with the knowledge that someday I will have these pictures to look back on and remember all these crazy, busy fall days where it's often impossible to stop and acknowledge all the awesomeness around us.  

Bob looked at me the other day and asked if I was planning to stop doing the birthday picture collages when the boys turned 18.  To be honest, I'd never really thought about it.  But yeah...  I guess I will.  I mean, once they are out of the house I don't suppose I'll really have so many pictures of them.  I guess that means I also only have a couple more years of all these traditions with the whole family.

Like Burt's Pumpkin Farm.  

I have pictures from Burt's EVERY SINGLE YEAR since Spencer was 1.  Those pictures chronicle the growth of our family from 3 to 4 to 6 - and I guess they are going to also capture the coming shrinking back down to 5 and then 4.  I am not sure I'm OK with that...  It's really the first time I've stopped to think about how daily life will change when Spencer (and then Quinn) leave.  I mean, we've talked about going to college and we've discussed who moves to what rooms.  We have sort of thought about the big stuff.  But not the "small" things...  and now suddenly these small things feel big.  I have 2 more Burt's trips with Spencer.  3 more Christmas's.  Sheesh...  talk about a gut punch!

So my goal is to not let these things sneak up on me.  I am thankful for the reminder that time is fleeting and these boys of ours will fly away before we know it - and before we are ready.

Spencer got his license today.  He's now legally able to drive solo - and with a family member in the car.  He has to wait 6 months before he can drive a non-family member around.  This is fine with me!  It still means he turns into an uber driver for his brothers!  (I'm probably more excited about that than I should be...)

Coming events...
- Tonight - Spencer JV football game
- Tomorrow - Spencer Varsity football game
- Saturday - Zane and Beck both have games again - and they are HOURS apart, which means I get to see both!  Yay!
- Quinn's fall lacrosse season really gets going this weekend too and he's got games every Saturday in October.  

Now if only the weather would catch up with the calendar and cool off...  it's supposed to be near 90 for the next 3 days.  I'm ready for jeans and sweatshirts instead of shorts and sweat for all these games!

Here's my favorite picture from this version of the Burt's trip.  And after contemplating on how quickly the next 2.5 years are going to go, I'm gonna treasure it for a long time!

Have a great week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment