Thursday, February 11, 2021

Picture of the Week - 2/11/2021

 High school wasn't, how do I put this, my favorite.  There were definitely highlights!  I made some great friends - and I met my soulmate.  It wasn't ALL bad - not even close.  But I don't look back at high school as my peak.  I don't consider the things I did in those 4 years as my biggest accomplishments.  High school was something I had to get through and had fun doing so.  I knew pretty early that it was meant to prepare me for the future ahead and wasn't, by a long stretch, the ultimate goal.


That's my background and feelings about high school.  It colors the way I have looked at high school for my boys.  It's preparatory.  It's lessons and learning - both academically and socially.  It's part of the maturation process.  I've never looked at the things my boys have/will accomplish as the peak of their life experiences.  My expectations are higher.  

(I'm a joy to live with...)

All of the above makes it particularly surprising to me that I am repeatedly and genuinely weepy over the fact that Spencer's last high school wrestling tournament starts tomorrow.  This sport (which I will be the first to say is preparation and lessons and part of a bigger journey) has meant so much to Spencer - and to us through him and Quinn - that it is painful to know that it's over.  I am so proud of all that he's accomplished.  I am so grateful for all that this experience has given him.  And I am so sad that it's nearly over.

And yet, Spencer is not.  He is so much more pragmatic about all of this than I am.  He knows this is part of the journey, just as I knew my high school accomplishments were only a chapter in my book when I was his age.  He's not done yet.  He has bigger things to go do.  He has college and a career and a life to go live.   Maybe wrestling will be a part of his future.  Maybe it won't.  Either way the best is yet to come for him - and the lessons learned through wrestling these years have prepared him well.  He is ready to move forward.  He's ready to tackle this crazy world of ours and create an amazing life.  

Tomorrow Spencer and his team will wrestle in the Georgia State Wrestling Championship tournament.  Spencer won the tournament last weekend and has a good chance of placing again this year at State - but he's got work to do.  It won't be easy.  Nothing worth doing is easy.  His dedication to this sport and his mindset and focus to be his best are some of the most impressive things I have ever seen.  He is ready.  He is the master of his fate and the captain of his soul.

(Wrestling starts tomorrow at 1.  Watch for updates on FB and if you are interested in following along, check out the tournament on trackwrestling.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment